In the past six years I have three new joys added to my life who I am so thankful for. L, the one on my left, F the one on my right and E the one in my lap. In 2016 L, my first grand-baby boy was born. The second one, F was born in 2018. E was born in 2020.
All three were born to my second son and his wife. Thankfully all of them were born beautiful and healthy. The proud parents had an hour to bond with each baby after their births. Then we grandmothers had our times with each baby to bond with them.
L has blond hair and blue eyes, like his mother. F has dark hair, darker complexion, like his daddy, and green/brown eyes. They both are adorable and loving little boys. E has light colored hair which looks like it might be strawberry blond but we’re not sure yet.
Here are some of the reasons I am so thankful for my grandchildren.
1. My son and his wife are enjoying watching these three grow up; loving each one for who they are; and are both very involved in their care and lives.
2. When they were born I loved the new baby smell, the softness of their skin, well, everything was adorable. All of these triggered memories from when I held my first son. (My second son was adopted as an adult. But I loved him like he was mine from the beginning.)
3. When each grandchild was handed to me I enjoyed those pleasures of touch, sight and smell. Now I have the pleasure of watching each baby as they grow, learn, play, love, and know they have two grandmothers who love them. It is a joy to have a relationship with grandchildren that only a grandmother can have.
4. The thoughts of their futures and who they may become as adults fill my head some days. I want to be near them often but not intrusively in their family life. I want to help when they need a baby sitter, be near to them so I can be a part of their world and share in the wonders of seeing them change into older children, adolescents, teenagers, young adults and on and on.
6. Planning on teaching them wisdom from my years of experience; sharing some of the wonders I know about animals, insects and life. I also want to teach them so they have the same wonder I felt when I learned about the other life forms on our planet. And I would enjoy seeing everything through their eyes and share that wonder anew. Life will be renewed often for this senior citizen.
7. Thinking of the books I would read to them; times I would play with them; wonder what I would feel as I watched them grow into adults someday. But for right now, they are my grandchildren. I know they will be loved by everyone. Since they have two grandmothers I know they will get the special kind of love that grandmothers can give.
8. Feelings of love and dedication to being a part of their lives fills me with new purpose. I will be a helper, grandmother, babysitter, teacher, playmate and everything I can be as only a grandmother can. I feel so blessed and happy to be a part of their lives.
9. The absolute pleasure of being greeted by each one with a big smile, excitement, hugs and “MAHA!”
I have a good life. Now I look forward even more to the rest of my life as I continue to watch my sons and daughters (in law) grow and mature. Now I have two grandsons and a granddaughter to watch grow and develop. So much to look forward to.